SAHM the Libby
Quick post- what I've been reading to catch up and get in the groove of things.

I don't think the relationship between Maggie and Tom was as important to the story as George Eliot thought it was. I also never cared much for Tom so I couldn't see why she did so much. He's the kind of guy your girlfriend starts dating and you think, 'uh oh,' but then you get to know him and think, 'Well I guess he's a good enough guy but I'd never date him, I'd end up hitting him over the head with a frying pan.'
This was a psychological novel, she was trying to say this had to be the outcome because these people could only act in this way. But I never really bought that because I could never understand why Maggie was so desperate for male attention. Her father loved her and was compassionate and affectionate with her so it never made sense for me. Perhaps it was just a flaw of her character but if so it makes me like her less. None of her suitors suited her it was just that they were there.
I loved Middlemarch and have read it twice, but this George Eliot didn't float my boat.
Labels: | edit post
5 Responses
  1. Bybee Says:

    I want to read something else by Eliot since I loved Middlemarch so much, but I don't know where to go.


  2. I haven't found one as good as Middlemarch, I liked Silas Marney but some people find it a bit prosaic, Adam Bede I found difficult to read I wasn't able to finish it, I think her Mill on the Floss the best of the bunch after Middlemarch but don't expect it to be similar or to like it as much.


  3. Sylvia Says:

    Hey! How's it going? How do you like the rain so far? ;) I think I can understand Maggie's relationship with her brother--boys can start off sweet and then something happens and they become self-important jerks. But then she sort of follows suit in thinking she can do better than a cripple. The whole family seems afflicted with hubris and it brings them all down. I found it terribly sad. I much prefer Eliot's happy endings!


  4. I grew up in Coos Bay Oregon so I like the rain. How are you?
    Also my hives are gone, we are planning another baby and I had my birth control removed and they're gone!
    For me Maggie just couldn't resist any male attention, neither of the guys really suited her but they paid attention to her, one THOSE girls, yuck. I loved Middlemarch but haven't found one on its par yet.


  5. Sylvia Says:

    I'm so glad to hear the hives are gone! Woohoo!! Good luck with having another baby!

    How would you like to join an Odyssey readalong? It starts Monday. Check it out here:
    http://www.lovelaughterinsanity.com/2010/10/odyssey-readalong.html


Post a Comment